Sunday, February 12, 2017

An Invitation to Dialogue: Part 2

I've been an inconsistent blogger over the years, but I've often wondered why no one comments, ever. Finally, this week, I think I've learned why: when I created my blog, I checked the box to use "Google comments" and unintentionally limited the ability of the vast majority of readers to participate. I reset it today to the "blogger" defaults.

Recently, I have tried to use my blog to engage in a dialog about the current political climate. Starting last August, I wrote an open letter to Republican friends and family to try to find out where they stood. (Four years ago I wrote about our shared values.) I sent it to my family and shared it on Facebook. Several family members emailed me very thoughtful replies but no one commented publicly on the blog. I just discovered that no one could!

Meanwhile, since the election, I have had an on-again, off-again private dialog on Facebook with some of my more conservative family members. I can't say it's been satisfying, but I think it's at least a little bit useful: I'm trying very hard to listen to what they have to say (and it is hard because we disagree strongly about most things). BUT, at least we are communicating. I don't know if they would say they're trying hard to listen to what I say or not. However, neither "side" has shut the other out.

In my original Invitation to Dialogue post I tried to start a conversation about where people get their news. I've tweaked the settings on my blog and I believe that now anyone can comment, even anonymously. For now, I do not intend to moderate the comments, but will do so if I (or my readers) feel like people are behaving badly. So, please reply to this, or any of my previous posts and let me know what you think.

Where do you get your news? What sources do you trust? Why?


11 comments:

  1. Hi Kristin! For the most part, the sources of most of my news are 1) CNN, of which I watched entirely too much of during the election and days up to Trump's inauguration; 2) The Chicago Tribune; 3) NBC Nightly News at 5:30 p.m., "Meet the Press" and "This Week with George Stephanopoulis" on Sundays; 4) NBC5 News; and 5) Facebook posts, often complete with links to other news sources such as The Washington Post, etc. I trust all of these sources (with the exception of some FB posts) and feel the reporters working for them employ high-quality and rigorous reporting standards...and are NOT FAKE NEWS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok- I figured out how to post! Thanks for sharing your thoughts Kristin!

    I have to admit I spend a little too much time on FB reading the articles my friends within my bubble suggest. We get the Tribune at home and I go right to Ask Amy. Real life is so depressing that I choose fiction when I can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Comment. Love you. Would you be willing to comment on my blog?
    https://wordpress.com/post/doulawomancom.wordpress.com/618

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great question. I consider myself to be left-left-center, sort of like north-north-west. I rely on NPR, the New York Times, the Chicago Tribune, the Economist, and for some analysis the American Prospect. Over the last month or so I sense NPR and the New York Times behaving reactively rather than proactively and making political assumptions that get in the way of the constructive weighing of possibilities (one nice example of the behavior I like to see: thoughtful reporting that did not dismiss Gorsuch out of hand but suggested he could be a strong defender of the separation of executive, legislative, and judicial powers). Overall I'm seeing less analysis, and more anxious hand-wringing without ranking of severity of issues, in these sources than I'd like. I can't seem to find time for Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I start my day with the newspaper. Until recently, I read an actual paper - and for most of the years I lived in Chicago, that was the Chicago Tribune. Several years ago, I was visiting extended family and asked if my family member is she had a paper I could read with my morning coffee. She replied that they didn't get a newspaper; she got her news from Rush Limbaugh and Dr. Laura and that was good enough for her. At the time I thought that was odd, but it wasn't until this recent election cycle that I realize it was not simply "odd", it was downright dangerous. Our democracy depends on an informed citizenry. It is truly frightening these days to see how rumors, if repeated emphatically enough, are taken up as "news" while the fourth estate is under attack by the administration.

    A few years ago I noticed that I was getting my news from links friends shared on Facebook and was turning there as often as the New York Times for analysis. I even commented that I appreciated the opportunity to be exposed to different points of view, and broaden my horizons. I was surprised then to hear about our "social media echo chambers" since I felt the opposite about my own. While most of my circle is liberal, it is not exclusively so - and it was this very diversity of perspective that I appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kristen..
    I read the Chicago Tribune daily, for 40+ years, but the last few years have been increasingly disappointed in them, and started reading other publications online. I especially thought it was irresponsible of the Trib to endorse Jill Stein, and that was a final straw for me. I read Huff Post online, also various articles by The Guardian, Washington Post, and New York Times and NPR. I've lately been reading News and Guts (Dan Rather's posts) and Bill Moyers and Robert Reich. Broadcast news wise I generally watch ABC news, The View and sometimes CNN. I try occasionally to watch Fox News or Hannity, but never seem to make it past a few minutes, due to breaking out in hives.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still read the Tribune and though disappointed in national coverage, i support it for its local investigative reporting. We get Washington post and nyt online. I also get news through fb from the newspapers stated above, robert reich, news and guts, and some national ngos like npr aclu and nrdc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is mine when it didnt post my profile. It niw seems to understand the im marisa. The tine it shows is also two hours earlier than my actual post time

      Delete
  9. This is marisa. It asked me to confirm my profile in Google before payinposting then didnt post my id. Fir this post it asked in a different way, then deleted my reply, and n I now hopefully this time it will work. Frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This post above was supposed to be a reply to the previous post.

      Delete